What personal information do we collect and hold?
We may collect the following types of personal information:
- Full Name;
- Mailing or Street Address;
- Email Address;
- Telephone Number;
- Date of birth;
- Your lifestyle, occupation and hobbies;
- Health fund details;
- Your employer;
- details of the products and services you have purchased from us or which you have inquired about, together with any additional information necessary to deliver those products and services and to respond to your inquiries, including but not limited to your prescription details and your medical history;
- any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our websites or indirectly through use of our websites or online presence, through our representatives or otherwise; and
We may also collect some information that is not personal information because it does not identify you or anyone else. For example, we may collect aggregated information about how users use our website. We are required to collect your name, address and date of birth as part of our legal and regulatory obligations.
How we collect your personal information?
We collect your personal information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so. When collecting personal information from you, we may collect it in different ways including:
- When you book or attend a consultation over the phone or through video-conferencing technology;
- When you attend a vision screening organized by us or a vision screening organized by your employer;
- When you visit a store to purchase eye wear products (such as sunglasses, frames, lenses and contact lenses) and associated products and services;
- When you book an eye test using our website, our apps, over the phone or when you visit a store or attend a screening clinic;
- When you contact us via our social media pages (such as Facebook, Twitter or Instagram);
- When you complete a purchase order for industrial safety glasses;
- When you contact us with an inquiry or complaint in relation to our products and services;
- Through your access and use of our website.
We may also collect personal information from third parties including:
- From third party companies such as credit reporting agencies, law enforcement agencies and other government entities (such as the Department of Veterans Affairs);
- From data analysis agencies;
- From employment recruitment agencies;
- From health funds;
- From third party optometry practices; and
- From other optometrists and health practitioners with your consent.
We may log IP addresses (that is, the electronic addresses of computers connected to the internet) to analyze trends, administer the website, track users’ movements, and gather broad demographic information.
What happens if we can’t collect your personal information?
If you do not provide us with the personal information described above, some or all of the following may happen:
- We may not be able to provide the requested products or services to you, either to the same standard or at all;
- We may not be able to process health fund discounts or rebates;
- We may not be able to process any third party discounts or benefits;
- We may not be able to provide you with information about products and services that you may want, including information about discounts, sales or special promotions; or
- We may be unable to tailor the content of our websites to your preferences and your experience of our websites may not be as enjoyable or useful.
For what purposes do we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information
We collect personal information about you so that we can provide you with the most appropriate eye care and eye wear products and services, and to provide you with a high quality of customer service.
We also collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
- To provide products and services to you and to send communications to you;
- To provide products and services to you as a result of a contractual arrangement with your employer;
- To answer inquiries and provide information or advice about existing and new products or services;
- To advise you on your eye care needs including when it’s time to come and see us for another eye test;
- To assess the performance of the website and to improve the operation of the website;
- To assess our customer service and to improve our customer service to you;
- To conduct business processing functions including providing personal information to our related bodies corporate, franchisees, contractors, service providers or other third parties;
- For the administrative, marketing (including direct marketing and marketing research), planning, product or service development, quality control, human resources, educational and research purposes;
- To provide your updated personal information to our related bodies corporate, franchisees, contractors or service providers;
- To update our records and keep your contact details up to date;
- To process and respond to any complaint or inquiry made by you; and
- To comply with any law, rule, regulation, lawful and binding determination, decision or direction of a regulator, or in co-operation with any governmental authority of any country.
To whom may we disclose your information?
We may disclose your personal information to:
- Our employees, related bodies corporate, franchisees, contractors or service providers for the purposes of operating our website or our business, fulfilling requests by you, and to otherwise provide products and services to you including, without limitation, lens suppliers and manufacturers, contact lens vendors, web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, mailing houses, couriers, payment processors, data entry service providers, electronic network administrators, debt collectors, archivists and professional advisors such as accountants, solicitors, business advisors and consultants;
- Suppliers and other third parties with whom we have commercial relationships, for business, marketing, and related purposes;
- Referees whose details are provided to us by job applicants;
- To another company or business where our store or stores are acquired by, sold to or otherwise transferred to that company or business;
- To government and regulatory bodies and law enforcement agencies;
- With your consent, to other health practitioners and medical practitioners and forward relevant information to that health practitioner or medical practitioner about your particular condition; and
- Any other organization for any authorized purpose with your express consent, including your insurers and your solicitors.
We may combine or share any information that we collect from you with information collected by any of our related bodies corporate.
We are not responsible for the privacy policies of any third party. Third parties are responsible for informing you about their own privacy practices.
We may also disclose your personal information to our related bodies corporate, our other business partners and our service providers to give you information and offers about products and services offered by us or these companies.
Please note that by opting out of receiving marketing communications, you may still receive communications from us (such as invoices and notices) in relation to the products and services you have purchased from us.
There may be instances where we cannot grant you access to the personal information we hold. For example, we may need to refuse access if granting access would interfere with the privacy of others or if it would result in a breach of confidentiality. If that happens, we will give you written reasons for any refusal.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is up to date whenever we collect it or use it. This may include, for example, using data obtained from third parties to verify the accuracy of your personal information.